Applicants to PIBBS require the following:
- a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from an accredited four-year college,
- a completed Graduate Record Examination (subject test is not required)
- three letters of recommendation.
- original transcripts from all universities attended
Applicants must meet minimum requirements for admission to the University (overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0, and a combined GRE Verbal + Quantitative score of 1000). However, a GPA of 3.5 and a combined GRE V/Q score of at least 1250 are preferred. Proficiency in the English language is essential. All international students must submit TOEFL scores even if a master’s degree was received from an English speaking country. The minimum TOEFL score is 100 for the internet-based test (equivalent to scores of 250 for the computer-based test or 600 for the paper-based test). When requesting that scores be sent to USC, the University’s ETS code of 4852 must be used. The GRE code will be 0202, the TOEFL code 34.
For international students: When listing undergraduate/graduate GPAs (grade point averages) on the application, please use the system of your university. If you received a percentage grade, provide the average percentage. If you were graded on a scale other than 4.0 (with 4.0 equal to an “A”), please indicate the average grade AND indicate the scale (for example, 8.5/10). All international students are required to submit official and valid TOEFL scores.
Applications and all supporting materials must be received no later than December 1st, for full consideration. Late applicants may be considered if space in the program allows.
Applications should be submitted online through the USC Apply Yourself site as follows:
- Choose “Create Account” at the right of the first page to set up a new account and password.
- Once an account has been created, please log in and complete the online application. You may use the side bar to enter the information requested (biographical information, contact information, etc.).
Your statement of purpose for the Graduate School application is a brief and focused essay about your career and research goals, and how you intend to achieve these goals. It should also describe your accomplishments thus far along your projected career path.
- You will need to choose the graduate program to which you are applying on the page entitled “Application Information” as follows:
- Fall 2014 semester (for the entering year),
- KECK School of Medicine (for the school; the PIBBS office is housed there)
- PIBBS (for the program)
- Mail the required documents to the USC Graduate School (see below)
- Mail the required documents to the PIBBS office (see below)
The application fee is $85. In cases of financial hardship, it is possible to request an application waiver for US citizens and permanent residents of the United States. The waiver will be reviewed by the USC Graduate School and a decision will be made through their office. Additional documentation may be requested and there may be a slight delay in reviewing your application if the waiver is not approved prior to the December 1st deadline. The PIBBS office will not be able to view your application until the application fee is paid or the waiver is approved.
First, initiate your application using the online application system, Apply Yourself.
Then, submit the following documents to:
University of Southern California
USC Office of Graduate Admission
3601 South Flower Street, Room 112
Los Angeles CA, 90089-0915
- Application and application fee (electronically)
- Official Transcripts from all universities attended
(these will be retained by the Graduate School)
- GRE scores (Institution code: 4852, Department code: 0202)
- TOEFL scores, required only for international students
(Institution code: 4852, Department code: 34)
In addition, we will require:
- Three letters of recommendation
If your recommenders submit letters of recommendation online through Apply Yourself, there is no need to send hard copies. HOWEVER if your recommenders will be sending hard copies, they will need to be submitted directly to PIBBS and NOT to the USC Graduate School. We do not have access to letters that are sent to the USC Graduate Admissions Office.
Hard copies of three letters of recommendation must be sent to:
PIBBS Graduate Admissions
1975 Zonal Ave., KAM B16
Los Angeles, CA 90089-9031
Lastly, you will also need to send, to PIBBS (either by uploading them in your application or by mailing them directly to the PIBBS office)
- Copies of official transcripts for all universities attended
(these will be retained by PIBBS)
Thank you for your interest in USC and PIBBS! We look forward to evaluating your application.